Event Group Coach Award
The Event Group Coach (EGC) programme is designed to provide licensed athletics coaches with a greater understanding and awareness of the issues involved with coaching athletes at the Event Group Development stage of the athlete development pathway. The course is currently available with content aimed at each of the four event group areas - sprints and hurdles, jumps, throws and endurance. In the future this will be expanded to include combined events and wheelchair racing.
Coaches who undertake this course will develop their technical knowledge and expertise across the individual events that make up each of the event areas:
- Sprints and Hurdles: Short and Long Sprints and Hurdles
- Jumps: Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump and Pole Vault
- Throws: Shot Putt, Discus, Javelin and Hammer
- Endurance: Middle/Long Distance, Steeplechase, Race Walking
During the programme, candidates will be asked to consider, plan for and adapt training to meet the needs of individuals who have a range of abilities, experiences and fundamental movement skills regardless of their chronological age.
The EGC programme has two components to it:
- An online learning component, which coaches can work their way through at their own pace. A thorough understanding of all the information presented online will ensure all candidates are at the same level and can get the most out of the second part of the programme. To ensure all candidates study the material a short multiple choice test must be completed online at the end of every module.
- A single integration day during which coaches will come together to discuss how to integrate the information they have studied online into a training plan for an athlete at the event group development stage of the athlete development pathway.
Candidates embarking on this course must do so in the knowledge that it will require a significant investment in terms of time to complete the online learning component. However, with the exception of the multiple choice tests at the end of every module of the online component there is no assessment of actual coaching practice during this award.
The Event Group Coach programme is for those coaches working with athletes at the Event Group development stage (typically 15-19 years old) and all applicants should be actively involved with groups and have access to event group development stage athletes to get the most out of the programme.
Candidates should have a minimum of an old UKA Level 2 award in any discipline except Children in Athletics or a new Athletics Coach award. The Event Group Jumps and Throws awards also require coaches to undertake some Add-on modules before they are eligible to enrol on the Event Group courses. Candidates who do not have the required pre-requisite qualifications will have their applications rejected. A FULL LIST OF ELIGIBLE AWARDS ARE AVAILABLE IN THE EVENT GROUP FAQ.
• Training organisation and decision making
- Coaching Philosophy
- Classifying training methods
- Long term development of (Sprints and Hurdles, Jumpers, Throwers, Endurance)
- Training organisation strategies
- Designing training progressions
- Organising training
• Event Group Specific Content
- Event Group specific concepts for (Sprints and Hurdles, Jumpers, Throwers, Endurance)
- Understanding the performance profiles for (Sprints and Hurdles, Jumpers, Throwers, Endurance)
- Event technical models for (Sprints and Hurdles, Jumpers, Throwers, Endurance)
- Teaching progressions for (Sprints and Hurdles, Jumpers, Throwers, Endurance)
- Specific training methods (CE and SDE) for (Sprints and Hurdles, Jumpers, Throwers, Endurance)
• Physical Preparation
- Warm up and cool down
- GPE training methods
- SPE training methods Multi-Jumps and Multi-Throws
- Running drills
- SPE training methods: introduction to weight training
• Fundamental underpinning science
- The science of Strength and Conditioning
There is no practical assessment for this qualification. However, there is a short open book multiple choice test at the end of every online learning module.
The online content contains all the resources available for these coaching qualifciations. In addition reference is made to many of the free coaching resources already available on uCoach.
The online learning modules for each of the Event Group qualifications are available through www.ulearnathletics.com:
Bookings are made via uLearn. The cost is £75 per online module.
Due to the relatively small number of candidates undertaking the qualification, the Event Group Integration Days only take place a few times a year. The cost is £75 per Integration Day. Bookings will be taken via uLearn.
The Event Group Coach qualifications are comprised of two parts:
- Event Group Online - £75
- Event Group Integration Day - £75
- Total cost of completing the qualification = £150
Please check out the Event Group Coach FAQ from the RIGHT HAND NAVIGATION menu.